The Rise of the Algorithmic Agent
There comes a time in every middle-aged man’s life when he must look into the digital abyss and say, "Go on then, tell me what to pack."
With a glorious three-week stretch of annual leave looming, I have spent my day off engaging in that most sacred of pre-holiday rituals: administrative panic. However, this year, things are slightly different. Instead of drowning in a sea of glossy brochures or suffering through the wildly conflicting advice of travel influencers, I have outsourced my sanity to a robotic travel agent. Yes, I am letting an AI plan my upcoming cruise.
So far, the cybernetic overlord has proven remarkably useful. Firstly, it has tackled the minefield of shore excursions. Why on earth would I pay £75 to sit on a claustrophobic coach with sixty strangers when I can forge my own path? With a little help from a machine that eats algorithms for breakfast, I have curated a selection of independent adventures. It has even plotted my daily wanderings directly onto a Google Map, presumably so it can track my movements when the inevitable robot uprising occurs.
But its true moment of genius came with the packing list. Alongside the standard rotation of linen shirts, it threw in a few curveballs I would never have conceived in a month of Sundays: magnetic hooks (for the cabin walls, apparently), lanyards for our cruise cards, and a motion-activated, magnetic-backed night light. It is terrifyingly prepared.
The ultimate test, however, awaits. Will this digital accomplice prove to be a superior advisor to a twenty-something TikTok influencer, or indeed, my in-laws, who have clocked up approximately five hundred cruises and possess very strong opinions on buffet etiquette?
Only time, and a distinct lack of getting lost in a foreign port, will tell. Wish me luck. I am off to buy some magnets. Cynically.



Comments
Post a Comment