The Fear of Inactivity

 


Absolute Stillness...

I am currently nearing the end of my week (that rare, mythical "weekend" that only graces the roster once every four weeks, stretching from Friday to Sunday like a logistical mirage). On the Underground, a total lack of news is not merely golden; it is a tactical victory.

Even the Micro-Manager has been uncharacteristically subdued. He has only graced my inbox with ten digital decrees, which I dutifully read before filing directly into the bin with the cold, bureaucratic indifference usually reserved for a faulty ticket machine. This absence of reporting is, quite frankly, a terrifying development.

The subterranean kingdom of rats has also been unexpectedly polite. I have spotted only one solitary resident this evening. He took one look at my weary expression and apparently decided that my aura was far more intimidating than any sewer-dwelling predator. He beat a hasty retreat into the shadows, leaving me alone to commune with my tea.

This tea has become an emotional milestone: a liquid sanctuary in a station that feels like a structural time capsule. Being left to my own devices in the silence is a rare gift, though the absence of rodents feels suspiciously like a tactical withdrawal before a larger offensive.

My great fear, a logistical catastrophe of theatrical proportions, is that the universe is merely hoarding its chaos for tomorrow. Just as I have one foot out the door, ready to retreat to the domestic safety of a singed crumpet and Bruno’s majestic, crisp-packet-obsessed demands, I fully expect the subterranean gods to strike.

Classic TfL move, really. Everything collapsing at the exact moment the shift ends, leaving the station in a state of terminal anarchy. Until then, I shall wait, cradling my tea in the silence and performing the delicate art of looking busy while absolutely nothing happens. Nervously. 

Comments

Popular Posts